Thursday, February 26, 2009

It wont be like this for long...


--These smiles are what make it ALL worth it--
Yesterday while I was getting ready, changing 2 poopy diapers and looking around my house trying to figure out how I was going to make it to the gym plus clean up my house by the time my visiting teachers arrived this song popped up on CMT. Just listen to the words. It made me cry when I realized how fast my boys were growing up and how grateful I am for this time I am at in my life. I let the house go and just spent the day riding bikes and letting the boys run around outside. I didn't worry about how dirty they got or even if they missed their naps, I just spent the day being their MOM! And I LOVED it. Its so hard for me to not get caught up in the day to day crap that always seems to take me away from quality time with my kids, but this song made me have a breakthrough and it totally brought me back to where I belong, at home with my boys. It is so true that my life will not be like this for long, sometimes thats a blessing, but I am so thankful for the age my boys are and for how much joy they bring to my life. I may not have everything I ever dreamed of but I am realizing my dreams are changing and my healthy, adorable, happy family is all I need. I love my husband and the hard worker that he is to provide all of the wonderful things we enjoy and I am so thankful we are where we are at in life. We look forward to many changes but are so grateful for everything the Lord has blessed us with. At our enrichment night we had a great speaker who told us that our jobs and housework deserve our "B" effort but that our familys deserve our "A" effort. He reminded us to not waste all of our energy trying to please other people and neglecting our time with our kids. Save your energy for your family cuz they are our number 1 priority. So, give your kids a big smooch and remind them how thankful you are to be their MOM, and show them they are WAY more important than a clean house!

- My wake-up Call...I was doing homework today and Chandler said he wanted to go play with his friends so I got out his bike and away he went. About 2 minutes later I hear a knock at the door and its Chandler. He says, "Hi, Can you play today, Mom?" How sweet huh? We played playdoh and had a fun afternoon.




This is Chandlers "new" bike! Hooray for Yard Sales!! He loves it and want to ride it everywhere. He wants to be big like his friends so everytime he gets off he makes sure he puts the kickstand down...even though there isn't one. I love it!!


Heres the Brodster--10 months-- We went to a bball game and Chandler had to wear his bball clothes of course so we thought we better get Brody a little Basketball outfit. They looked adorable and had so much fun at the game. I hope by my next post Brodys walking, he is so close its scary. He will stand all on his own but no steps yet!

12 comments:

Janette said...

I love your post. Being a mom is so rewarding. Sometimes we just get into such a routine that we don't realize how great our lives are. I can't believe how fast the boys are getting. Nate and I love them so much and our excited to see them (and you) more.

Janette said...

I ment growing instead of getting

Ashley and Cody said...

Rikki your post seriously made me cry. I've never heard that song before and I love it. You are so right about getting caught up in day to day stuff. After my day at the grocery store and both my kids having pink eye I needed to hear that. Thanks!! We can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!! We hope you are still coming, b/c we will have so much fun. I think Cody might take the time off, then him and todd could go golfing or something. He has vacation he needs to use up.

Anna said...

I love that song too. It really helps to put things into perpective for me, esspecially when everything seems to be falling out of place and we have to start from the beginning again.

Unknown said...

What a great Post! I am so thankful that i have all these other amazing mom's to look up to and that post stuff like this b/c I seriously need it! I STRUGGLE with worrying more about what gets done instead of enjoying the journey... I need to realize that it will NEVER be done. The laundry, the dishes, and the messes will never be done but before we know it the kids willbe big and I will wish I would have spent more time playing Memory(by the way Hallee makes me play that every day)! Thanks for the reminder!

meagan said...

I am so glad you have a new post. I love reading your uplifting words and chan's as well. lol. You are such a wonderful mom and have been more than I could have asked for in a friend. Love ya.

JESSICA AND LUCAS NELSON said...

Rikki! How true is that. I love those days where I dont shower and the house is a mess and we have just played all day long. The boys are so good on those days. I know when I am cleaning and not paying attention to them and they are being so naughty it is because they need my attention and just want me to play with them. I hope I can realx more and not be so anal, because like you said and the song said, it wont be like this for long!!!! Thanks for the reminder, and being such a great sister in law and example to me. I miss you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Rikki~ This was a great post! With ton's of good reminders. I think I needed to hear this post today. My kids have been acting up this week and for the life of me, I have been trying to figure it out. I know it's because I have been really trying to keep a more organized house. That has never been my strong point! But I think I got caught up in worrying about keeping my house looking perfect all week. It wasn't worth it! I know we are going to miss these day's and wish our houses were messy and lived in when they are all grown and we have no messes to pick up after:) Thanks for the reminder! Maybe if I don't clean at all this week~ My kids will be angels:) No, I know there needs to be ballance... I guess I can clean a toilet or two if I have too.:)

Our Family said...

Rikki, I loved that post! I had a similar thing happen at my house the other night, Ryan was out of town, Elliott and Ivy (Bean and Peachy in my blog) were asleep, but Alec (Peanut) was still awake, and was having a hard time sleeping. He wanted me to snuggle him, so I did, but I realized that I was getting irritable because I had so many thing I needed to do before I could go to bed... dishes, laundry, etc... but I remember distinctly having this thought enter my mind. "There is absolutely NOTHING more important at this moment than this." How grateful I am the the Spirit to whisper the things we need to hear. I really enjoyed that time just snuggling and talking with Alec about his day, and I know that me being "present" instead of thinking of other things, really made a difference to him that night! Your boys are getting so big! I haven't met you little guy yet, and last time we saw you, Chandler was just little! They have your beautiful blue eyes, and Todd's eyelashes... such lucky handsome boys :) Thanks again for that post!
Shantel

NAT said...

Okay, so it's 7:00 in the morning and I'm bawling! What a great song, great post and a great reminder of what's really important in this life...our families. Thanks for this post!

CLUFF FAMILY said...

I love your blog. You have such a cute family. Your plate is full and you are a very stong woman. It has been great getting to know you a little better. Hopefully with many more times in the future! You are a beautiful woman!

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder to me that my kids need me to actually interact with them each day. It's not enough just to be home. I feel like I'm always apologizing about the messy house when people come over, I know I shouldn't worry about it so much! Great post!